Sunday in Boston

Sunday when I woke up, I was so tired I wanted to stay in bed, until I remembered we were going to the Harpoon Brewery!!

But first, breakfast! Jack suggested we head to Chinatown for Dim Sum. I’ve only had Dim Sum once before but its quite the adventure! Little Chinese ladies come around to your table with carts of food and you get to pick and choose what you want. Its kinda tough and good to go with someone who has been before, because I have no idea what is what, and sometimes very little English is spoken.

Yum. A perfect breakfast before we head to the brewery!


Yay! Harpoon Brewery! Haha, bright and early at 10:30am. They have brewery tours but it’s first come first serve and you cant reserve a spot ahead of time. I heard they sell out and I wanted to make sure we got to do the tour, hence the 10:30am part. We were able to jump in with the 11:00 tour.


So first the malted barley is crushed and mixed. Then its put in the mash tun and mixed with hot water. The starches are broken down into simple sugars.


The mash is then transferred to the Lauter Tun (like the one below) it allows the grain husks and spent grain to funnel down to the bottom and separates it from the wort. The wort is then transferred to the Brew Kettle, brought to a boil and hops are added. Then it is put through the whirlpool, which separates out the hop particles and then is cooled rapidly. Its put in the extremely large tanks and yeast is added. The yeast reacts to the simple sugars and alcohol and carbon dioxide are the byproducts.


The beer is allowed to chill for a couple of weeks and is then (sometimes) filtered and bottled. And then I get my tasty beverage! I had A LOT of samples!


So beautiful!


And I learned that Harpoon is actually the oldest brewery in Boston, not Sam Adams. This is the brewing license. Notice in the top left hand corner the No 01.


After the brewery we really needed some more food! After getting lunch and dessert in Little Italy we walked around a bit. I found this cool structure/ memorial. It was fun to walk through until I found out that it was a Holocaust memorial. Then it was really pretty and solemn but not so much fun anymore.


Headed back to the room with the box filled with cannoli that we picked up in Little Italy! I heard good things about Mike’s Pastries so we had to pick some up!


After splitting the biggest cannoli I’ve ever seen with Jack, I promptly fell asleep for a quick nap.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s